Undergraduate Financial Aid

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Student pointing at a brick on the Jay WalkMission Statement

The Financial Aid Office is highly accessible and committed to providing quality financial assistance to students who would otherwise not be able to attain their educational goals.  Our thoroughly trained financial aid administrators are student-centered, dedicated to providing fair and equal consideration to all.

Committed to an Affordable Education

At John Jay, we work hard to keep our tuition affordable while maintaining the highest academic standards. Our financial aid programs help students remove financial barriers to getting a higher education.

If you need help financing your education, we require you to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online. The FAFSA application collects basic information needed to determine your eligibility for all of the financial aid programs.

There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance. The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • Federal and State Grants: Grants do not have to be repaid. 
  • Loans: Loans need to be repaid with interest.
  • Scholarships: Scholarships are usually based on academic merit and do not need to be repaid.
  • Federal Work-Study: This consists of part-time employment, either on or off campus, contracted through the Financial Aid Office.
  • Excelsior Scholarship: For frequently asked questions regarding the Excelsior Scholarship please visit-  http://www2.cuny.edu/financial-aid/scholarships/excelsior-scholarship-faqs/ or https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/nys-grants-scholarships-awards/the-excelsior-scholarship
    • Apply Now at https://www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior/
      "Please note that the COVID-19 pandemic has dramatically reduced state revenues and the processing of new applications is pending on Federal assistance, which has been delayed since April. Excelsior Scholarship awards may have to be reduced and/or prioritized for current recipients as provided for under the program."
  • Financial Aid for Undocumented Students- Through the passage of the Senator José Peralta New York State DREAM Act qualifying undocumented students can apply for State Financial Aid and Scholarships  including the Tuition Assistance Program and the Excelsior Scholarship.  To determine your eligibility, learn about details and to apply please visit:

For information regarding Federal Financial Aid please view the FAQ for Undocumented Students: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/financial-aid-and-undocumented-students.pdf 

Changes were made to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid beginning with the 2017-2018 application.  These changes allow students to submit their FAFSA earlier.  Going forward the FAFSA will be available every October 1st for the following school year.  In order to allow students to file their applications beginning October 1st the FAFSA will begin to use tax information from two years prior.  Click on the link below for additional information.


Filing for FAFSA & TAP

Step 1 ­­ Get familiar with the academic requirements for financial aid.

Step 2 ­­ Fill out the FAFSA online. Be sure to file the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1, each year.

The federal Title IV school code for John Jay College is 002693.

You will receive a Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) four to six days after filing the FAFSA online. Your SAR will indicate your expected family contribution for federal student aid programs as calculated by the federal processor. John Jay's financial aid office receives this information electronically when you file, so it is not necessary to send us your SAR. Financial aid awards will be e-mailed to your John Jay account beginning in March.

If you are a New York State resident, you will initiate the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application process by completing the FAFSA. A separate application is required for TAP. This can be filed electronically while you are filing your FAFSA. Once you reach the "Confirmation page," click on "New York Residents Only" to file for TAP. If you miss this, a paper application will be sent to you automatically. 

Remember the TAP codeUndergraduate Students is 1414 

For more information regarding financing your education, contact the John Jay financial aid office at 212.237.8151  or visit the Jay Express Service Center. 

Relevant Links: